This advanced skill-building class tackles all the essentials (read: tricky nitty gritty details!) of sewing a tailored jacket with a notched collar. Put your tailoring to the test as you learn how to bag a lining, clean finish vents, sew welt pockets with a flap, insert two piece sleeves with a shoulder pad and more. This class is capped at 3 people as we believe it requires a high level of one on one attention. An intermediate knowledge of sewing is recommend for this workshop.
This class is 10 weeks long and each class is 3hrs.
Course fee is $375~ + HST
Click here for upcoming dates and to register online
Class Outline: (10 weeks/3hrs each week)
- Class One – Fitting a muslin
- Class Two – Fitting a muslin (Part II)
- Class Three – Altering your pattern
- Class Four – Cutting, fusing and sewing the jacket shell
- Class Five – Notched Collars
- Class Six – Welt pockets and bound buttonholes
- Class Seven – Sleeves, sleeve pitch and shoulder pads
- Class Eight – Cutting and assembling the lining
- Class Nine – Bagging a lining, sewing on buttons
- Class Ten – Professionally pressing and finishing your garment
Techniques: Easing shoulders, inserting sleeves and shoulder pads, matching patterns, sewing notched collars, welt pockets and bound buttonholes, bagging a lining and professional pressing techniques.
Supplies: Muslin, Fusing, Wool or Wool Blend, Buttons, Thread.
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Click here to book a machine for Open Studio time. Space is limited.