Get that vintage treasure looking new again! With a little bit of darning, some shape at the waist and a new zipper, old clothes get made over into new ones. Then show some leg this summer once you’ve hemmed all your old maxi dresses – we’ll even how you how to turn the leftovers into a new skirt! (You’ll practice on many different fabrics like denim, wool, cotton and polyester – you’ll never need to visit the tailor again)
***Students must have taken Sewing Fundamentals or have equivalent sewing experience to take this class***
This class is 4 weeks long and each class is 2hrs.
Course fee is $160~ + HST.
Class Outline: (4 weeks/2hrs each week)
Class One: Hemming
- Please bring an item or two that need hemming with you to class! If you are still a beginner, please remember that some items are much easier to hem than others! For example, a cotton dress or skirt will be easier than a chiffon dress or skirt. If you have questions about what items to bring in, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identifying types of hems (double fold, euro hems and blind hems)
- Identifying different types of fusing
- Sewing a double fold hem on a pair of pants or a skirt/dress
- How to measure pants/dresses to be hemmed
- Learning proper blind hemming techniques
- Sleeves can also be shortened in this class.
Class Two: Taking it in/letting it out
- Bring oversized shirts, sweaters, pants and skirts that need a little bit of shaping. Add elastic to an oversized t-shirt to turn it into a dress!
Class Three: Replacing zippers
- Practice invisible, centred and lapped zippers on muslin before trying them out on skirts, dresses and jeans. Please bring an item that needs to have the zipper replaced. If you don’t have an item that needs to have the zipper replaced, we can practice on muslin.
Class Four: Finish up your projects, or bring in a new one!
- It’s a fact – Mending your clothing can take a little time. Use this class to put the finishing touches on your newly mended masterpiece!
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Click here to register online.Space is limited.
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date.
Upcoming Dates :
Click on your preferred date to register