Let’s face it, no outfit is complete without the perfect bag, and what better way to get what you want than to make it yourself?
In this 4 week class we will complete a canvas and leather tote bag. Zipper, pockets, magnet closures, hand dyed cross body strap, short straps, or both…. with so many ways to customize your bag you’ll get exactly what you are looking for in a tote!
Students will learn the basic of sewing with leather, taping seams, sewing on a domestic machine using a leather needles and a teflon or walking foot. Straps for the bag will be made from vegetable tanned tooling leather. Students have the opportunity to try their hand at leather working when cutting, punching, dying and finishing their straps. If you’ve ever wondered what all that ruckus was coming from our leather studio, you’ll get to find out!
Class Fee: $160 + HST (materials not included)
* Materials fee’s will vary from $50 to $100 +HST depending on design. Due to the special nature of sewing leather all materials must be purchased at the studio.
- Choosing you canvas and leather
- Choosing design details
- Cutting out all pattern pieces
- Begin sewing pockets
- Finish sewing pockets
- Sew leather base with walking foot attachment
- Assemble bag
- Cut straps out of vegetable tanned leather
- Bevelling and burnishing strap edges
- Bunching holes in straps
- Dying your vegetable tanned leather straps
- Finish assembling bag
- Apply finishes to straps
- Attaching straps using the rivet press
- Walking out the door with your stylish new TOTE!
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date.