This 8-week beginner class will show you how to use your own measurements to create a perfectly fitting skirt pattern. From this custom pattern students will have the option to sew a pencil, straight or A-line skirt. This is a beginner class. If you have no previous sewing experience however, we strongly recommend you enroll in our super fun Sewing Fundamentals class before you take Intro to Sewing Garments with us.
This class is 8 weeks long and each class is 2hrs.
Course fee is $250 + HST
Class Outline: (8 weeks/2hrs each week)
- Creating a fit sample from your own body
- Using the T-square
- Conducting a fitting
- Averaging your fit sample
- Transferring to paper
- Drafting darts
- Using the French Curve
- Adding seam allowance
- Creating notches
- Adding design details if desired
- Cutting fabric correctly
- Sewing darts
- Proper pressing equipment
- Using the serger
- Inserting an invisible zipper
- Basting side seams
- Testing the fit of the skirt!
- Learning to adjust your skirt for the perfect fit
- Cutting the lining
- Sewing the skirt and lining
- Drafting/cutting a waistband or facing
- Fusing the waistband or facing
- Cutting/Sewing the waistband or facing
- “Sausaging” the waistband and crack stitching
- or Understitching the facing
- Removing basting stitches
- Hemming the skirt and lining
- Add a buttonhole, snap closure or hook and eye
- Wear your new skirt!!
If you are interested in learning to sew garments from an existing pattern, we recommend taking one of our Commercial Patterns classes. Classes in our Commerical Pattern series include Tailored Shirts, Dresses, and Choose Your Own.
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Open studio time is independent sewing time. Click here to register online. Space is limited.
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date.