Did you love making sweet swag for your pad in Sewing for the Home?! Can’t wait to make more cool DIY home decor? We’ve got the next class for you! Learn how easy it is to make Roman Blinds for any sized window in your house! These beauties are SO easy to make and are definitely not cheap to have custom made – this is truly an opportunity to save $$$ with your new DIY decorating skills!
This is a beginner class. You must have taken Sewing Fundamentals 1 and 2 or have equivalent experience.
Sewing for the Home 2/ Roman Blinds runs for 4 weeks, and each class is 2 hrs. Course fee is $200 + HST.
Class One: Drafting your Pattern
- Students DO NOT need to bring fabric to class this week. We will be pattern drafting and discussing appropriate fabrics for the desired effect. Students will need to bring their ‘inside the frame’ and ‘outside the frame’ window measurements to class with them. It is very helpful if you can bring a photo of your window with you on your phone as well.
- Demonstration: Sewing on your sashing
- Demonstration: Hemming on a machine vs. slip stitching
- Determining appropriate fabrics and weaves (samples will be shown)
- Determining your lining fabric (samples will be shown)
- Determining how many pleats you will want
- Determining how deep your pleats will be
- Determining proper wooden dowelling length
- Determining your hem depth and seam allowances.
- How much exterior fabric will I need? How much lining fabric will I need?
- Using a ‘Batten’ vs. using a railing
Class Two: Cutting and Hemming your Fabric
- Students will need to bring their fabric to this class.
- Discussion: Accurate cutting for oversized pattern pieces
- Cutting your fabric, Hemming and adding interlining
- Cutting Lining
Class Three: Laying Loop Fastening Tape/Connecting lining to exterior
- Using loop fastening tape
- Connecting lining fabric to exterior
Class Four: Creating Rod Pockets
- Creating rod pockets
- Adding cording
- Discussion: How to secure your cording at home
Students will need to bring their ‘inside the frame’ and ‘outside the frame’ window measurements to class with them. It is very helpful if you can bring a photo of your window with you on your phone as well.
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Click here to register online. Space is limited).
**We ask that you please try to schedule your class on a date that you know you can make it to! Although our system sends out an automatic confirmation email, it is frequently sent to spam folders by accident – please have a look there if you don’t see your confirmation email. Due to the specialized nature of this class, we will not be offering make-up classes for Sewing for the Home 2 / Roman Blinds.
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date