Nervous about learning how to sew? Relax and let us show you the FUN-damentals – right from the very beginning. Basic stitches and seams, working with woven fabrics, threading a sewing machine and then complete 3 easy projects.
We have very friendly sewing machines (Janome 625E‘s to be exact) that make learning to sew… FUN! (As it should be!)
Sewing FUNdamentals runs for 4 weeks, and each class is 2 hrs. Course fee is $160 + HST.
*You will not need to bring any materials to your first class. The materials list for the headband, pillowcase and the make-up pouch are listed below. All materials are available for sale at the studio.
If you’ve registered for this class through a groupon, please note that you will be required to pay ($6.25) HST when you arrive for your first class.
Class One: The Basics
- Sewing tools and tips review
- Identifying fabrics and weaves
- Identifying different types of fusing
- Threading a machine
- Sewing a 1/2″ seam
- Sewing a French seam
- Determining the grain of a fabric and cutting on the grain
- Using notches
- Sewing a zigzag stitch at a wide and a narrow stitch width
Class Two: Headbands & Pillowcases
- Learn to create an elastic casing and finish exposed edges (hemming)
- Practise sewing 1/2″ seams
- Finish and wear your headband in one class!
- Start cutting your pillow pattern pieces (if there’s time – don’t forget your pillow fabric!)
- Headband Supplies:
- 1/4 yard of woven cotton (light-medium) fabric,
- matching polyester thread (Gutermann brand is recommended),
- marking tool(s)
- Pillow Supplies:
- 1/2 – 1 yard of woven cotton fabric (depending on the size of your pillow),
- a pillow form
- a 20-26″ invisible zipper, matching polyester thread. We will cut the zipper to size – don’t worry if it’s too long!
Class Three: Pillows & Zippered Pouches
- Learn to insert a perfect invisible zipper
- Finishing the edges of your pieces, pivoting corners
- Sewing the pillowcase!
- Clipping corners
- Cut/fuse the pattern pieces for your pencil / make-up case
- Zippered Pouch Supplies:
- 1/4 – 1/2 yard of woven cotton,
- 1/4 – 1/2 yard of medium-weight cotton,
- 1/4 – 1/2 yard of fusible interfacing,
- 10″ regular zipper (or 20″ if you’d like to make a larger pouch)
- matching polyester thread
Class Four: Zippered Pouches
- Install a regular zipper with topstitching
- Finish the pouch!
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Click here to register online. Space is limited).
Top Photo Credit: Jenn Nguyen (jnouveau.com)