Nervous about learning how to sew? Relax and let us show you the FUN-damentals – right from the very beginning. Basic stitches and seams, working with woven fabrics, threading a sewing machine and then complete 3 easy projects.
In this class you will complete a headband or drawstring bag (you can choose between the 2), a throw pillow with an invisible zipper, and a lined zippered pouch.
We have very friendly sewing machines (Janome 625E‘s to be exact) that make learning to sew… FUN! (As it should be!)
Sewing FUNdamentals runs for 4 weeks, and each class is 2 hrs. Course fee is $160 + HST.
*You will not need to bring any materials to your first class. The materials list for the headband, drawstring bag, pillowcase and the make-up pouch are listed below. All materials are available for sale at the studio.
Class One: The Basics
- Sewing tools and tips review
- Identifying fabrics and weaves
- Identifying different types of fusing
- Threading a machine
- Sewing a 1/2″ seam
- Sewing a French seam
- Determining the grain of a fabric and cutting on the grain
- Using notches
- Sewing a zigzag
stitch at a wide and a narrow stitch width
Class Two: Headbands or Drawstring Bag & Pillowcases
- Learn to create an elastic casing and finish exposed edges (hemming)
- Practise sewing 1/2″ seams
- Finish and wear your headband in one class!
- Start cutting your pillow pattern pieces (if there’s time – don’t forget your pillow fabric!)
- Headband Supplies:
- 1/4 yard quilting cotton
- 1/4 yard quilting cotton
- Drawstring Bag Supplies
- 1/2 yard of quilting cotton
- 1 3/4 yards of ribbon/ rope
- Pillow Supplies:
- 1/2 yard quilting cotton (up to 1 yard for a larger pillow)
- 22-26″ invisible zipper (we cut the zipper to size – don’t worry if it’s too long!)
- Learn to insert a perfect invisible zipper
- Finishing the edges of your pieces, pivoting corners
- Sewing the pillowcase!
- Clipping corners
- Cut/fuse the pattern pieces for your pencil / make-up case
- Zippered Pouch Supplies:
- 1/4 yard quilting cotton for the exterior
- 1/4 yard quilting cotton for the interior
- 1/4 yard fusible interfacing
- 12″ regular zipper
Class Four: Zippered Pouches
- Install a regular zipper with topstitching
- Finish the pouch!
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Click here to register online. Space is limited).
**We ask that you please try to schedule your class on a date that you know you can make it to! Please do not miss your first Sewing Fundamentals class. We do offer make-up classes for the 3 projects in Fundamentals 1, on Tuesday evenings at our Bloor studio at 6:00pm and 8:15pm, for a fee of $15~ +HST, although spaces are limited and we cannot guarantee a space will be available on the same week as your missed class. You can get registered for a make-up class online here.
***If you need to re-register in another start date entirely, it is possible but we do charge a cancellation fee of $35 +HST with less than 7 days notice.
click on preferred date to register
Top Photo Credit: Kelly Henderson