We all have that favourite garment that is being worn to rags and that we wish we had a million of. Knock off your Clothes teaches you how to make a pattern from your existing garment so you can recreate it in as many different colours and fabrics as your heart desires. Have one for every day of the week!
In this 4 week class students will learn how to copy their existing patterns using an array of pattern making tools. We will cover proper tracing techniques, copying darts and pleats, truing patterns, and adding seam allowance and grain lines.
This class is 4 weeks long and each class is 2hrs.
Course fee is $160 + HST
Students will make 2 patterns in this class.
Project 1: Knock off your favourite basic
- Bring in your favourite basic jersey top to knock off. Students will learn the basic techniques of making patterns from an existing garment while working with a simple and somewhat forgiving pattern.
- Please do not bring in a garments with: pleats, gathers, packets, collars or other such details.
Project 2: Knock off your favourite shirt, skirt, pant, or dress
- With help from our expert instructors, students will learn how to make a pattern from there favourite staple, or statement piece garment.
- Detail in this project will vary but students will learn how to copy such details as darts, gathers, plackets, yokes, styles lines, collars, pockets, etc….
- Intermediate Options: Button up or simple top, simple skirt or dress. This includes details such as style lines, yokes, collars, plackets, simples pockets and gathers.
- Advanced Options: Jeans or other pants, complicated dresses, skirts or tops. This includes details such as pleats and darts and detailed pockets.
Class Outline: (4 weeks/ 2 hrs each week)
- Class One – Project 1: Knock off your favourite Basic
- Class Two – Complete your Basic pattern and start on Project 2
- Class Three/Four – Complete Project 2
Students are asked to bring both garments to your first class to be approved by their teacher. *It is recommended that students have at least 2 options for their second project.
Please Note: This is NOT a sewing class. In this class students will make the pattern for their garments only.
If you would like to make your garment in one of our other classes we recommend taking:
- Commercial Patterns: Any patterns made in this class can be sewing during our commercial patterns class
- Tailored Shirts: If you have knocked off a button up shirt or shirt dress, you can recreate it in this class.
- Dresses: Most dresses knocked off in this class can be sewn in our dress making class.
- If you would like to take a class to sew your garments. Please discuss with your teacher which class would be most appropriate for you.
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Click here to reserve a machine at least 24 hours in advance.
**We ask that you please try to schedule your class on a date that you know you can make it to! Although our system sends out an automatic confirmation email, it is frequently sent to spam folders by accident – please have a look there if you don’t see your confirmation email. Due to the specialized nature of this class, we will not be offering make-up classes for Knock off your Clothes.
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date.