Sewing isn’t just about tailoring – it’s all about STRETCH! From easy to make leggings to over-sized t-shirts, custom underwear and bathing suits – just about everything comfortable is made using a serger. Learn the basics of how to thread the machine, adjust tension, cut width, differential feed and how to create a rolled hem.
Then create a personalized pattern for a pair of awesome, stretchy tights. Students start a personal reference guide for all of their serging samples.
The Serger Basics class runs for 6 weeks. Each class is 2 hrs long.
Course fee is $220 + HST
Class Outline: (6 weeks/2hrs each week)
- Class One: Getting to know your serger. Learn the basics of how to thread the machine, adjust and trouble shoot tension, cut width, adjust the differential feed and how to create a rolled hem. Start a personal reference sample collection.
- Class Two: Draft a pair of tights according to your own measurements.
- Class Three: Cut and baste together your tights. Make fitting adjustments if necessary.
- Class Four: Sew up your tights on the serger!
- Class Five: Hem your tights using the cover seamer and then serge in your waistband.
Techniques: Threading a serger, adjusting tension, cut width, differential feed and creating a rolled hem. Drafting a personalized tights block. Sewing in an elastic waistband, hemming using a cover seamer and using stretch lace to finish an edge.
Supplies: Students will need to bring 1.5-2 yards (buy 1.5y for sizes 0-12 and 2y for size 12+) of pre-washed, 4-way stretch, medium weight cotton/tencel/bamboo knit fabric to the second class.
Current and former students are always invited to use our open studio time from 6-9pm on Friday evenings in addition to their regular class time. Open studio time is independent work time. Click here to reserve a machine at least 24 hours in advance.
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date.
Upcoming Dates and Online Registration:
Click on your preferred date to register