You’ve been asking for it and it’s finally here. Make an out-of-sight leather bag as a gift…. or as a gift for yourself!
Choose from one of four awesome leather bag options:
- An over-sized Tote Bag to store everything but the kitchen sink!
- A stylish leather Back Pack for all the guys and gals biking to work out there!
- A cute and functional leather Bucket Bag for all your valuables!
- A classic Clutch Purse that will take you from day into evening!
Take it once, or take it four times to make all four projects!
In this class, we will build on the skills that you have learned in Leather Fundamentals 1 or Leather Fundamentals 2. (You must have taken at least Leather Fundamentals 1 or have equivalent experience working with leather) All of the bags in this class are hand laced so you will be able to replicate them again at home without access to a sewing machine.
This course runs 6 weeks and each class is 2hrs.
Course fee is $220 + HST plus a materials fee.
(All leather, dye, polish, lacing, rivets, buckles and other hardware are included in the materials fee for this class. You will not need to go shopping for anything for this class. Materials fees are listed below.)
Materials fees are due at the beginning of your first class. Fees Vary depending on the size and STYLE of your bag as well as your choice of leather.
- Tote Bag: $59-$102 + HST
- Back Pack: $91-$157 + HST
- Bucket Bag: $61-$84 + HST
- Clutch Purse: $46-$62 + HST Plus Closures: which vary from $5-$19 + HST
Please Note: While simple alterations to all bag straps, and shape of backpack flaps can be done in class, any other alterations must be done prior to your first class. If you would like to customize your bag, email us at email@example.com to book a private lesson with your instructor before your first class. Bag alterations can be complicated and any alterations to the structure and size of the bag can not be done during class time. You can see our rates for private lessons here.
Class One: Cutting, Grooving and Stamping Leather
- Choose your bag
- Cut and Groove your leather
- Cut your straps and closures
- Bevel and burnish the edges of your strap pieces
- Finish any bevelling and burnishing
- Stamp custom messages or images into leather
- Punch all holes for hardware
- Finishing any details from class 1 and 2
- Dyeing your leather. Using an eye for detail, carefully dye your project. (Dying your leather on such large pieces can be tricky, this is why we have dedicated an entire class to this) Students will be able to practice dying techniques and have the time to apply as many coats as necessary for the desired effect.
- Oiling your leather
- Applying a conditioner and finish
- Applying Gum Tragacanth to the flesh side of straps and burnishing
- Begin to punch holes for lacing
- Finish punching your holes for lacing
- Attach hardware
- Begin Lacing
- Finish lacing your bag
- Attach closures or hardware that was not done before lacing
- Burnish your stitched edges together using water and gum tragacanth
- Walk out with your stylish handmade bag!
Supplies: Vegetable Tan Leather (optional kinds and weights), Dye, Hardware (vary on project to project basis), Waxed Thread, Neatsfoot Oil, Your choice of Leather Finish, Rivets (ALL supplies are included in your materials fee)
***Class registration fees are non-refundable. If you need to cancel you class, you can use your credit towards a different class date or towards materials from our retail space. There is a $35~ fee for classes cancelled or changed with less than 7 days notice from your registered start date.